Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day 2, August 28, 2007

We watched the First Robotics special by Discovery on Google Videos today. The students began to turn in their surveys and information sheets. We stopped the video without about 10 minutes left in class for discussion. The excitement of the contest and inspiration was exciting for the students to watch.

I announced the possibility of Hill Country Middle School's shop as a possible location for our building of the FRC robot. They were excited to hear of a possiblity for a shop location. I also announced that I had heard from Greg Young with Best Robotics. We are on the waiting list for the Capital Best Robotics Competition. They are hosting a training on September 8th for sponsors, mentors and coaches. Tim and I are planning on attending.

Linda Rawlings and I visited about the past few days and the updates I had for her. We discusssed the importance of a shop on campus for the students to work in. We also discussed the VEX kits and how I would implement them. We are going to purchase 4-8 kits for the students to begin to practice building. WHS will host a mini-competition between teams of our students. I will use a 6 week plan similar to the FRC so they will get used to the time frame.

Stephen Shands and I visited about our California trip. We will go out on October 10th. Our initial plans are to visit three schools: Poway, Mt. Carmel and High Tech High. Kara Wolf, Stephen and Suzanne Summers will visit the Biotech classes while I visit with the Robotics instructors.

Time to get ready for day three.

No comments: